Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hot with a Cold front

It has been hot this week. Very humid and very hot. I have been sweating like a pig. I just can't seem to keep the sweat in. But it's not the end of the world. It has also been more humid than I can ever remember. We had a little rain in the beginning of the week that caused a lot of humidity. It has been humid most of the week except for today. This morning when Elder Leishman and I left our apartment the second that we left we felt a cool breeze. It felt sooooo good. I can't tell you how good it felt. It was about 70 degrees outside. It felt just like home. It also smelt fresh for some reason which is not a common smell in Stinkadena. At least that is what some people call it.
 
Anyways, this week was a very good one. The Lord has been dropping things into our laps it seems and we are being so blessed. On Sunday a companionship from the Texas Houston East mission handed off an investigator who is getting baptized in mid October. Just out of nowhere tells us about them and that they live in our area. Also many of the people that we have contacted that we are starting to formally teach are very prepared. Many of them have a desire to learn and a desire to change. Pasadena is a rougher place. There are a lot of people who are living in some pretty serious sins. SO they either don't want to change at all or they want protection from the world, or they want out to be saved from the world they are in. It has been a special experience being here. I really get to see what the "good things" in the world do for people. Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and immorality bring no lasting happiness. Sure I have been taught it all of my life and I believe it to be true but being here I have really seen what these things do to people and how it destroys their lives. It doesn't make any of them happy for any reasonable length of time. It is very sad. But the best part of all of this is that we have the gospel. The Lord is merciful to everyone who wants to be saved from their sins and guides us to people every day. He also has given us the gospel to tell to them to help them find eternal happiness. I have seen it change lives and bring happiness into those lives. I just wish more people would except the gospel. But like the scripture says the members of the church will always be a small number in comparison to how many people are in the world.
 
It really does make me very sad and frustrated sometimes at the things people do to themselves. But there are great people who change and live a better life. One of our new investigators is making some serious changes in his life. He has spent the last 13 years in prison for a bank robbery. He wants to change. He is a sincere man who has been humbled and has felt the love of a member of the church who cares for him and his happiness. This man that we are teaching is so excited to join the church and has changed everything about himself to be a stronger person. He is an example to me and someone who I need to follow more in his commitment to give up doing his will and turn it over to God and follow him.
 
Another strange thing about this week has been the sicknesses. There have been a huge number of people who have become sick. Elder Oliver in our district was one of the first and after him many people have become sick. From all across town. Half of the ward was not at church this past Sunday most likely because they were sick. Just one of those bugs have been going around I guess. I am a lucky one. I have always been blessed to not have much sickness in my life. I have been a pretty healthy person. I don't get sick easy. Neither does Elder Leishman.
 
I know in my emails I just around a lot but it's because I need to cover a bunch of stuff and I really am not that fast of a typer. But those are the main highlights of the week. This coming week I am excited for General Conference. It is going to be great. Then the week after that Elder Costa is coming to do a tri-mission conference again as he did last year. that will be SWEET!!! He is a great man and a very funny person as well. As are all of the general authorities. I am excited. General Conference always helps me out with what I can do better in my life and what I need to change in order to do the Lord's will. I encourage everyone to watch all 4 sessions of conference and to learn from them and listen to them with an open heart and an open mind.
 
May the remainder of this week go well for all of you. Have a wonderful week.
 
love,
 
ELDER MARR

No comments:

Post a Comment