Monday, September 20, 2010

From the south

It's been pretty busy this past week. Sadly there have been a good number of appointments that have fallen through. But we have talked to some GREAT people. Take Virginia for instance. We were walking around this rather ghetto apartment complex and she sees us. She asks us if we are going home or if we are preaching. It is dark so I thought it might be one of the staff at the apartment complex getting ready to kick us out. Then we came up and started talking with her. She had had missionaries talk to her before on the street and she told them that she didn't want to listen because they worship Joe Smith. Then at work the day before we talked with her she started a new job. Her co-worker started to talk about her beliefs and about our church. This made Virginia very interested and helped her understand that we do not worship Joseph Smith but God and the Savior. She told us that she wishes she could have gone back in time to talk with those missionaries but she was happy that the Lord sent us to her. We will be teaching her tomorrow. That is just one of the many great people that we spoke to this week. We have a lot of sincere people that wish to know more about the Lord's church.
 
On a different note. This week we had a ward activity. It was a lot of fun. We ate BBQ and potatoes. Most of the ward showed up for the activity. We had a man named Brian come with us. He is a good guy. With a great heart. He is staying here in Pasadena until his construction job is over on this new building. He has been here a few months. He is very interested in the gospel. He has a very strong testimony and is very active in the church.
 
Something kinda funny that happened this week while I was on exchanges with Elder Oliver. We stopped by for an appointment at the end of the evening Wednesday. We taught Devin and Jaret. We also ate dinner there. It freaked me out. There were also others there. Being from age 34-83. But we taught them. They are a year apart and Devin is 17. He is also the older one. But every time I heard his name spoken by someone for a split second I would freak out in my brain. Nobody has called me by that name in a long time. I also think it is crazy that his brothers name was Jaret. So close to Jared. Anyways, it was a great lesson and they will hopefully be reading the Book of Mormon every night.
 
Another interesting lesson that I had with Elder Oliver this past week was one with the Morgan family. We prepared to talk a little about the Book of Mormon. The Morgans are a part-member and less active family. The son (who is 21) is not a member while most of the family who are the proper age are members. The son had a lot of questions about some things that he read on the internet. All of them were so far out there that I can't imagine how anyone can seriously believe that that is what we believe. It was ridiculous. But it was a good lesson. We talked about the Book of Mormon and how we can know if it is true or not. As long as we read sincerely than we can know if it is true or not. It was a powerful lesson and the spirit was there in abundance. Something that I feel a lot of people bring up to me when I bring up reading and praying is that I am choosing to get the answer in my mind of what I am leaning for. That is not true. For most people we teach they doubt. They need to know that this is true and to ask sincerely they have to be open to both answers. That if it is true they will follow the revelation received. Or if it is false then they will follow the revelation received. When I wanted to know if the Book of Mormon was true or not I had to be sincere. For a long time I read a little and prayed to know. I was not sincere in the beginning. Because I believed it and I was not willing to sincerely ask. When I finally realized how important this all is and that I am needed to do allot of difficult things than I needed to know whether or not to follow those teachings. So in order for me to ask sincerely I had to be open to receiving an answer that it is not true. I had to be sincerely looking for the truth not just what I wanted. And that is what all people have to do to receive an answer. The Lord is gracious in his answers to many people if they are willing to ask. I have been blessed to receive an answer if the Book of Mormon is the word of God or not. That is why I am out here. I know that this church is true and I know that, because of the Book of Mormon and the direct revelation to me through the power of the Holy Ghost that this church, Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and every teaching is the truth.
 
I hope that this week goes well for all of you. This church has in it all of the happiness that you could ever want and more than you can imagine. I know that the teachings of this church are the teachings and doctrine of Heavenly Father. I have seen this gospel change people lives.
 
I love you all and have a great week.
 
ELDER MARR

No comments:

Post a Comment