Monday, November 30, 2009

A WEEK IN THE LIFE OF ELDER MARR

This week was a little different. I had a great Thanksgiving but I missed home. We had two dinners. One with the Livasay’s who are a great family who cooked a kajin (sp?) style dinner. Our second dinner was at the Bakers and it was more traditional. Both were great and Bro. Livasay is going to send an email with pictures to you guys next week. He would this week but he is out of town. I hope that all of you had a great Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays. It did make me miss home though. Everyone know that I love you and I ma very thankful for all that you have done for me and for the prayers and love you have shown me or just for reading some of my emails.

This week hasn’t had too many huge developments. We had interviews this week which were great. I love talking with President Saylin and counseling with him on how I can be better and how our area can do better. We will most likely be moving in a few weeks to a more northern part of our area. Our area is very spread out and the place we are now is not the best location for the work. It still gets done though.

We are teaching a new family and they are great. They are a family of three and they are extremely nice people. The parents are willing to listen to our beliefs but they put up the wall of being Catholic. But their daughter is very intrigued. We talked about how you can know for yourself if something is true if you ask and seek the answer with a sincere heart. She feels like she can seek and know the truth for herself. I hope that the parents have softened hearts to just experiment upon what we teach and to pray to know if it is true. They are very nice people and I pray for them to except the gospel because I know that it will bless them forever.

I really don’t have that much to update this week. Many things have happened but nothing huge. We have gone through a lot of different things this week. The Lord has been testing our faith and how dedicated we really are. It has been tough but I know that the Lord has made promises with us and that this area will see miracles and great blessings. Elder Robertson and I talked about how we can do better. We are looking at things a different way and are really trying to sacrifice anything we can think of to be better. Obedience brings blessings. That is the truth. We have been obedient. But also working smart is an important thing to do. We have been trying to work smarter and it has been tough to come up with different ways to do things but we are coming up with some great ideas with the Lord’s help.

I love my mission with all of my heart. I am also so grateful for all of the letters and packages that I have received lately. I will try to write you but this P-day is really busy. We have to go to Alvin and also to the bike store because my bike broke but that is another story. Well I guess I’ll tell it.

One day my bike was acting strange but it was doing ok. Then we are riding one day and I’m not going off jumps or doing anything crazy and Elder Robertson yells to me on the street. Several parts from my bike just fell off. Some of the screws and bolts fell off and it left my bike unusable. Luckily Elder Maw one of the zone leaders has a car so they were able to get his bike to me and I am borrowing it until my bike is fixed. We are going to the shop today so that should be good. On Elder Maw’s bike two days ago I crashed. Luckily I didn’t damage his bike at all. We were on a paved path kind of like a sidewalk and we were going along and I went off the path for a split second on accident. So I corrected and tried to get back on the path. There was a lip in the path that my tire caught on. The next thing I know I am flying through the air and hit the ground filling my shirt pocket with dirt. I laid there for a moment laughing. Elder Robertson just about died of laughter. About 2 seconds before my crash Elder Robertson called me a nimrod. Then I crash. He was laughing so hard. We both did. Luckily no blood or bad wounds but that is the story of my first mission bike crash.

One of the coolest bike accidents that I have heard of is one by Elder Adams. He was biking along and gets hit by a car. The car drives off and he is on the ground. At this time his companion is talking to someone on the street. So his companion and the man on the street see this and Elder Adams gets up and starts talking to the man on the street about the gospel. He is a dedicated missionary. He was actually an atheist before his mission and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in philosophy. Then the missionaries met with him and a year later he is on a mission. He is one of the best in my opinion.

Well I got to go but you all have a great week and enjoy this holiday season. I love you all and I hope that you have a great week.

Love,
Elder Devon Joel Marr

No comments:

Post a Comment