Monday, April 12, 2010

This week has had its highs and its lows. But mostly highs. Last week we had great weather and some great dinner appointments. The worldly blessings of this week have been good. Also I took my bike in to get the crank switched out with the other bike I have. I took it into a bike shop because I could not get the pieces of of the first bike. So we went back to pick up my 2nd bike with the parts of the 1st bike on it. When the guy talked to me he told me that he got new spokes, my handlebars were dangerous so he got different handlebars put on it, then he put new brakes on, he also put a few new pieces here and there that were small. I was so worried when he told me all of this. I was dreading not having enough money to pay for someone to put all of these new pieces I would have to pay for on my bike. So he asked me some more questions and asked me if I wanted my 1st bike. All that was left was the frame with nothing on it. It is a piece of junk and I would have thrown it in the garbage anyway so I let him have it. Then I asked how much it would cost for all the stuff he did and what I asked for. He told me not to worry about it, and that it would be on him. He said that the bike frame I would let him have would pay for most of it so it was no big deal. He was a very nice guy and I was soooo lucky to get that deal.

Those are the worldly blessings of this week. Now to the spiritual blessings. This week we had our zone meeting. We talked about how setting goals can help us stretch and to be better. I have never been good at setting goals and they gave alot of good pointers on how to be a better goal setter. So I have been setting some new goals to help me be more organized and to keep track of everything. As well as some other personal goals. There is a section in Preach My Gospel that talks alot about the importance of setting goals in your life and how to accomplish them.

This week has been full of great experiences. One of them was a dinner that we had with the Talley family. They are members and they have a ton of kids. All of their kids but one are out of the house and married. He is the Patriarch of the stake and a great guy. So this week they invited their friends over for dinner with us and them. They have done this many times before and have been fellow shipping this family for many many years. So they come over and they are great people. They are the Prince family and it is a couple and their daughter. We had a good dinner and after dinner shared a short message. When talking about faith we were impressed to start to talk about eternal families and how we can be sealed to our spouses and families forever. Mrs.Prince started crying and told us of how her mother had passed away a few months earlier. It really touched all three of them. The Talley's had invited them to hear from the missionaries many times but this time they excepted. It was a great experience that continues to teach me that there is no way I can teach or know what to do but that the Lord knows everybody and what their interests and needs are.

Another great experience this week was with a family that we have been helping quit smoking. They both have not smoked for over a week now and have been doing great. They have gotten rid of all of their ashtrays and cigarettes. They have been having a rough week but with faith, blessings, and a determination to quite they have found it a lot easier then they thought. She has tried to quite several times before but has never gotten close to making it this long. He has never tried to stop since he started smoking. But he is doing great even if he has to call us during work when he normally would have his smoke break. They are great and I know that God is helping them a whole lot. There is no way they would be doing this well without His help. The days of miracles and blessings and great works are not over. God still exists and he has not changed. Everything is just like it was when man first came about, in God's eyes. We are still His children and we still make mistakes and we still have people that follow Him. It is cool to see how God has not changed. Many people do not see that He is the same. But that is most likely because they don't have modern day revelation, or prophets, or apostles. Like the church of old. We are so blessed to be guided by inspired leaders who receive their inspiration from the Lord. It is a great blessing.

This week was a tiring one. We had to go to seminary for half of the week in the morning. It was brutal. I thought that getting up at 6:30 was tough but I forgot how hard it is to get up that early. It was fun though. We got to talk about missionary work and how they could share the gospel with their friends. Many of the kids know alot more about the gospel then I did at their age. It is amazing to see how many of the youth already have a solid testimony of the gospel and you can see the difference it makes in their lives. The youth of this church are just going to be more and more faithful and strong.

I hate to leave but my time is up. I wish I was a faster typer.(sp?) But I like to update you guys the best I can. I am doing well and I love my mission. It would be so much easier to talk about everything that goes on if I could just talk to you all. But sadly I have to type things out. Anyways. I love you all and you all have a great week.

love,

Elder Devon J. Marr

P.S.

If it is still going on I hope that all of you take the opportunity(that can) to go the the Vancouver, B.C. temple open house or dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment