Monday, June 15, 2009

Life in the South

This past week was a little different. My poor companion feels so sick and can't do too much. Also a few days ago he got food poisoning and was up all night. I really hope he gets feeling better. He loves doing the work but our doctor told him that he must take 24 hours to rest. He is not happy about that. Doing this is just about the first thing we have done besides church. Life is good though. I'm keeping busy by studying and such. He seems like he is feeling better today so that is great.

We are busy here. Even though Elder Voeks is sick we are still really busy. I feel so bad for not sending my memory card but we have been so busy and our district leader leaves soon so I am going to get pictures with him and his companion. His name is Elder Taufa. I believe I have mentioned him before. He is a great guy.

Like I said it was a different week. I enjoyed it but I felt more lazy because of Elder Voeks being sick. This week will be alot more productive. Our investigators are doing well and some are really starting to show interest and progress. It is wonderful out here to see the gospel change peoples lives. I probably say that in every email. We had zone conference. It was my first and President and Sister Alred's last. I love them and I haven't been here for that long so I feel really sorry for those who are real close to them. I love the way they run this mission. He makes sure people follow the rules but he always tells us; "just be missionaries." If we have things that might be borderline against some rules or not following rules as long as it isn't something huge if we clarify a prompting with him he usually lets the mission "be missionaries." At the same time he wants everyone to follow the rules unless you feel a prompting or clarify it with leadership. This mission is run extremally well.

Zone conferance was wonderful. Full of great talks and workshop classes. I enjoyed everything. It was sad that it was their last zone conferance though. I believe they actualy leave next week. It's so sad. I have a good feeling about the new mission president and his wife though. You can tell alot from a picture and they look very faithful and loving. I haven't been out for long but Elder Voeks is a great trainer so I don't feel that green. I still have so much to learn. That's the great thing about a mission is you are never done learning.

No storms yet. The sky is beautiful here. Sunsets amaze me again and again. It has been hot though. About 98-101 at the hotest part of the day. It is so nice that we are in a car area. Having a car that has air conditioning is a huge blessing. Our apartment is air conditioned as well. I am hoping so much for a thunderstorm to role through. Elder Voeks says there hasn't been one in a while. I hope that there are no hurricanes this year. Last year Ike did so much damage. The mission turned into a relief and service mission for a few months in almost all areas to help with the relief effort. Galveston was hit hard last year. Everything is organized so well though. The missionaries were sent to safe areas and no one was hurt.

We have a new mission doctor his name is Brother Espiratu. His wife is also a mission doctor part of the time. They are so nice and loving. Elder Voeks and I along with the Vietnamese Elders in our zone were invited to a surprise party Brother Espiratu was throwing for his wife celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary. It was at a very nice country club. A huge beautiful room. They are both doctors and make lots of money but you wouldn't know it. They don't have anything that is super expensive or flashy. This party however was the most fancy and nicest thing I have ever been to. The men wore suits and the ladys wore prom like dresses. The food was provided and it was so fancy. It would have been no fun still if the people wouldn't have been so great. There were 150 people mostly consisting of family and extended family. Every person that I saw was fun, sincerely kind, and loving. I had so much fun and all I did was sit, talk, and eat. I wish that every party or gathering could be filled with the amount of sincere care and love and fun that was present at this party. It was wonderful.

This is how my week went. Just a total random comment and thought is that the people here are generally very open to hear what you have to say and I have only once had a door shut in my face. Which is a huge blessing.

Keep working hard everybody. I love you all. Thank you so much for sending me things and letters. If I haven't said this, congratulations to all those who graduated. Life gets better after high-school.

love yall,
Elder Devon J. Marr

No comments:

Post a Comment